Dec 29 was Sabina's birthday. I didn't do anything...I'm sorry Sab!!!!!!
Another year with COVID. A year. A weird arbitrary "end" to an era of our lives, as defined by some people who made up calendars.
I always see these 2021 art summaries floating around and never do them because I don't do standalone illustration enough—well this year I didn't even draw that many COMICS (sob)!! As expected, it was a struggle to compile, due to lack of art.
- Jan-Mar: "Finished" HWAnimation snow scene, Many learnings and many things to do better, "next time" murghhhhh!
- Mar - Aug: Work took over my life until the end of summer. It was a challenging and demanding, not in bad ways, but in ways that didn't leave me much mind space for anything creative of my own. I tried to draw stuff for HWA OC's birthdays where I could. I discovered that 100% cotton watercolour paper is indeed, better. I enjoyed revising my foolish process of creating Come For A Drink for its 3rd anniversary. This is also the official era of drawing myself as a fish for autobio, which I also enjoy more than drawing my real face.
- Sept-onward: Left my FT job and tried to re-orient myself towards my creative work. That meant writing the next arc of HWA, working on ch.13 (which is a beast), writing an outline/pitch for comics, and various other things. Had time to think and experiment—which led to some genius/chaotic productions like my possum song, Sneak and Snack that I made in Pixitracker. I waffled about moving, which lead to a lot of household item purging and cleaning.
- Oct-onward: Got back into contributing to a webzine that I illustrated for over a decade ago. I do a lot of organizing myself, so it's nice to let someone else take the reigns. Such a great zine, and great for me personally to push myself a bit more into unfamiliar places. I started responding to other comic creators on Tapas forums to share tips and whatnot :).
- Nov: I saw a big roach on my blinds and was sad. Cleaned my apartment up well. Now I'm constantly thinking that any speck in my house is a bug, though 95% of the time it's chipped paint, dust, or a power cord.
- Dec: writing/thumbnailing 120+ pages of a standalone comic (that isn't HWA). Also writing song lyrics for this comic. I used to write (bad) songs in my past life (haha) so lyrics that are actually singable and rhythmically decent are important to me (but as a result, then take very long to write/tweak).
I continued the habit of reading more, which I started in Fall 2020. Got back into reading manga even more this fall/winter. What a great medium. I really do love comics.
Compared to last year, it feels like I didn't accomplish much, but once again I have to remind myself that...I have done a lot of behind-the-scenes work but it just hasn't all come to fruition. Last year felt like a big year of productivity for me because i was working FT and finished HWA book 1 (sent it to print), BLTease, etc. though sadly those never hit the con circuit in the way I wanted them to!
I ALMOST wrote freetalk EVERY WEEK in 2021?!
I've sampled so many! I have too many! It was great and fun!
Yes, I journaled every day of 2021, with ease. Next year I'm using the same system, where I have 1 constant ToC-like notebook (with yearly/monthly views, habit tracker, and lists) and separate notebooks for daily journal entries as paper tasting.
One of the reasons why I don't toot as much is because I end up writing it down instead.
- For people who remember me and take the time to drop me a note here :)
- For more people coming to realize that they don't have to be extraordinary to live a good life, however they define that
- To be surrounded by people who care
- To have the privilege and time to work on creative endeavours
- To those who are pushing back or questioning the status quo/norms
- For not being on big social media
- Surprise snail mail (or digital, but that's even less frequent)
- To folks who have taken time to write/draw stuff for me, like fluffyfied's drawing of Austin/Jake, and this drawing of Pinkey (???) by...someone...?
Small hopes for 2022
- I've committed my time to a few freelance projects already in 2022, so we'll see how that affects my work/life balance.
- Yakuzine will be put out as a webzine and as a paper zine (maybe).
- I told TCAF I'd do animal comics if I got in for 2022 show
- More HWA more regularly
- I think my voice is under-utilized because of lack of social interaction; miss going to karaoke and screaming jam project's SKILL. These vocal muscles need exercise but I have...neighbours...
- I want to take the free Indigenous Canada online course through University of Alberta
- Wanna see Turning Red, EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE, Spider-man: Across the spider-verse (part 1)
- Contribute regularly to the webzine!
- I suppose I should work on Awk & Cheese...? Maybe I can work with more voice over artists again (they're the bomb). Come collaborate with me??????
- That this secret book comes out in 2022 and people enjoy it like their favourite bag of chips. A tasty snack.
Hope your 2022 is full with goodness!
Today's music post: I went back to the height of my ANIME days when I was obsessed with Macross 7's Basara (was it the glasses?!?!?!). The OPs Seventh Moon and Dynamite Explosion are still amazing (the animation...camera work..) and Yoshiki Fukuyama's vocals!! In hindsight, Basara is a really big himbo, and probably... ace?!? Which is probably good!? I had to reread the wiki to remember the plot. I have so many Firebomber albums in my childhood storage. Mylene's music hits differently (less rock but more dreamy, e.g., Pillow Dream and Sweet Fantasy) but is still good. Her singer is Chie Kajiura! I watched this entire live concert earlier this week.